Daniela Sponder and her family made the 180 mile journey from Croydon, south Londonto Nottinghamshire around the . to visit vacation park on July 1. After paying just under £1,100 for a week’s stay, the family were furious to see the condition of the lodge’s patio, which was covered in bird droppings.
The lake lodge, which the family had paid extra for, was unable to enjoy, Daniela claims.
The 35-year-old, who works at HR, lodged a complaint with guest services on the site, saying she was told it would be resolved within the next 24 hours and that it would be washed with a jet.
But that time came and went, and she had to raise the matter again, reports Nottinghamshire Live.
Finally, workers came out to clean it, but they used a bucket, mop and bleach.
Daniela was furious with the staff for using bleach in an area where her children, aged 16 weeks and two, would have played.
She said she didn’t let her kids play near the patio because of the bleach use.
She said, “When they came up with that, I thought, are you laughing?
“The equipment was completely inadequate and inappropriate methods were used, there was a lack of common sense and it is a huge health and safety hazard.
“Even when we got to the lodge and saw the bird droppings.
“I understand we were near a lake and it can get dirty very quickly, but I just wanted the highest possible standard of cleaning and it was filthy.
“There was no chance of my kids getting anywhere near that. In that sense, it was a bit of a disappointing trip.
“We were really looking forward to it, as we couldn’t go abroad this year because of the birth of my daughter, we liked it and it was a little adventure.
“But ever since all that happened, we’ve been kept from ever going back.”
After returning home from their vacation on July 8, Daniela filed a complaint with Center Parcs, but she says she is “horrible” about the way it was handled.
She wants a “sincere apology” from Center Parcs.
Daniela said: “I did get a response from them saying they had the situation out of their control, but I didn’t think that was good enough and wanted to escalate it to management.
“But I don’t believe this was done and I don’t think it was handled properly.
“It’s all well and good when money is taken, but basic safety and hygiene issues were not taken into account.
We’re talking about young kids who can play outside, but they can’t because of the bleach.”
Center Parcs declined to comment.