Published: May 16, 2022
When heat becomes unbearable and the stress becomes too much, most of us look north for a quick escape. While many of the country’s most popular islands are south of Manila, some of the most easily accessible islands can be found in the north. And when it comes to destinations in the north, it’s pretty hard to hear the cry of La Union†
But as the pandemic has messed up all the established bus schedules we’ve relied on over the years, it’s taking some effort to figure out how to get to La Union by bus. So we did a little digging (ie contact bus companies). And we have successfully achieved PARTAS Transport company and Viron Transit†
IMPORTANT! Today, the availability and times of routes change frequently and quickly. Please contact the bus companies directly for the latest updates and policies before your trip 0917 819 3909 (Partas) or 0932 364 1487 (Viron Transit) or PARTAS’s message official FB page†
WHAT IS COVERED IN THIS MANUAL?
As of: May 16, 2022
PARTAS operates several bus routes to the north, mainly in the Ilocos region and Abra. In their latest timetable (at the time of writing), La Union is nowhere to be found. But it turned out that they are still carrying passengers to La Union via their other routes.
We recently called and messaged PARTAS to find out how to get to La Union. And they told us the following:
- Ilocos or Abra bound PARTAS buses coming from CUBAO Terminal can drop off passengers in San Fernando City, La Union. These include P2P buses.
- You must inform the driver that you will get off in La Union. Otherwise, they skip the terminal. We were told that they only make a stop in La Union if and only if a passenger gets off.
- PARTAS is not available in San Juan (Rainbow). The closest is San Fernando City. They are only allowed to drop off passengers at their terminal. But since their Sebay Station (San Juan) is temporarily out of operation, buses cannot stop there. However, their official FB page informed us that they can drop off passengers in the following La Union cities: Agoo, Bacnotan, Balaoan, Bangar, Bauang and Damortis. (See image below.)
We are not sure if buses from the Pasay Terminal also drop passengers in La Union. But their Facebook page specifically stated “FROM CUBAO ONLY”.
Below are the timetables and fares for PARTAS buses that may stop in San Fernando, La Union.
Cubao to Abra P2P
Cubao to Laoag P2P
Cubao to Vigan P2P
Cubao to Candon
Cubao to Sta. Cruz
Cubao to Narvacan
Cubao to Cabugao
As of: May 16, 2022
Viron Transit has not published an updated schedule on their official Facebook page, so we called their terminals by phone. Here’s what they’ve shared so far:
- Viron’s La Union buses terminate at their San Fernando Terminal. If your destination is San Juan, transfer to a jeepney or tricycle from there.
- You can also take a Viron bus to Ilocos and Abra, which can drop you off in towns north of San Fernando (including San Juan), but you’ll have to pay the full fare for that route.
Sampaloc to San Fernando
rate: PHP 505
Sampaloc to Vigan
rate: PHP 700
Sampaloc to Abrac
rate: PHP 750
Cubao to San Fernando
When I called, they confirmed that they also operate trips to San Fernando City from their Cubao Terminal, scheduled to? 22:00 o’clock†
I wish I had more details to share, but that’s all I could get for now.
You can try calling them at the numbers below or email [email protected]†
Once you are in San Fernando, the next step is to go to San Juan. Whether your final destination is Urbiztondo Beach or San Juan Town Proper, you have two main options:
- BY JEEPNEY. Rate: around P15.
- BY TRICYCLE. Fare: P100 (special ride)
From San Fernando city center, the journey time is approximately 15 minutes to Urbiztondo and 20-25 minutes to San Juan Town Proper (longer as a jeepney due to the stops).
If you want to explore most of La Union, the city of San Juan and the city of San Fernando are the best areas for your base. Both are located in the center of the province. From both you can easily reach most of the attractions mentioned above.
We stayed in Urbiz Garden, a beachfront bed and breakfast in Urbiztondo, San Juan. I always stay here because of its location, between the highway and the beach.
But if you prefer to stay in a hotel, hostel or resort, here are some of the best accommodations that can be booked through Agoda.